Sunday, October 12, 2014

Cornwall, Day 17: Pipe Organs and Methodism


They were a small, but a kindly congregation. As we approached the building, we were impressed by its stature and expected absolute masses of people to be in the pews. There weren't, as it turned out, masses of them - but what there were turned out to be massively welcoming. We were the strangers among them, and they opened their arms.



A very small, very sweet lady handed us the hymnal and sheet as we entered. "We are a little group," she explained. "and we all sit to the left side of the sanctuary."

We ventured inside (shaking more hands as we went), and at the front I was electrified to see a splendid pipe organ. At its helm sat yet another wonderful Cornish organ player, and out boomed his prelude. What an unexpected gift! and such a treat for the SconeLady, who used to play a church organ and knows how to appreciate one such as this. 



The prelude concluded, the announcements were given and the minister was introduced.

Instantly we knew this was going to be good. It was going to be great! The minister was a lovely man, perhaps 70 and clearly in the place he was born to be. In his deep Cornish accent, he led the hymns (superbly), read the lessons (Jeremiah, Luke, and 1 Corinthians 13), and gave a ripping great sermon on all three. 

And then he moved up to the pulpit, and sang a solo. This touched me I think most of all. It was beautiful and he meant every word. At the end, we all clapped enthusiastically in appreciation. It was the sweetest thing.

As we enjoyed our nice cups of tea at the end, I saw the organist departing and could not let him leave without meeting him. I shared how much it had meant to hear him play, at which time my husband mentioned that I had been a church organist. I would not have had the courage to say this, but I am so glad he did. For the organist (Frank, as it turns out) invited me to PLAY THE MASSIVE PIPE ORGAN AT THE FRONT OF THE CHURCH.

And so I got to play it. We went through a locked door at the side, up some steps, and faced this organ. It had four rows of keys! I decided to play "Great Is Thy Faithfulness" in the key of C (because it is easiest in the key of C). 





Playing that age-old hymn, on that magnificent organ, was a true privilege. On the very last chord my left foot finally found the C pedal, and out came a lovely ending!

It was all terribly satisfying. We thanked Frank and said our goodbyes, on our way to the Sloop Inn for a Sunday Lunch. No one makes a Sunday Lunch quite like the British - Roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, and the rest. Perfect. Lacking in nothing.

What a wonderful Sunday! I have been thinking about what my favorite part of today has been. I think it was 1 Corinthians 13. Nothing says it quite like 1 Corinthians 13.

Perfect. Lacking in nothing.


See you along the way!
the SconeLady



No comments:

Post a Comment